Sunday, May 24, 2009

TRAILS TRADITION AND FRIENDS

I write this on a Sunday with a thousand things going on. First, the training. This past week, I had 2 strong upper body workouts and 2 leg workouts. I had two 6.0 mile trail runs and I capped the week off with a very strong 15.9 mile trail run at North Chagrin. I treated the first hour as a very quick paced, out and back down on the Bridle Path. It was cool and very pleasant. I felt real strong and definitely feel the effects of weighing 11 pounds less than when I started the Clean Eating Lifestyle. I got in just under 7 miles in the hour..stopped...got plenty of fluids,..a Gu Roctane, and half of a pb and j. Saw Betty, Andy (props on Rite Aid marathon) and Pat. I took off and worked on getting 16 miles in. Weaved all over the trails and got the workout in. Near the end, I saw Mike, Tim and others and they were trying to see if I wanted to run the Punxtawney 50 K in September. We'll see. After, an ice bath, I was good to go, but somewhat ravenous. Ate under control on Saturday, but today, I am going bonkers. We are cooking out at the station and look out!!!! Monday AM, I will get in a solid weight workout and then 45 minute run and then, its one of the favorite days of the year. We honor the veterans and our family in Euclid, always mans a corner and cheers wildly for all the vets. We really appreciate the service to our country. The Bride and I will entertain family as per usual and burn a few more burgers and dogs.... Work has been insane with the Cavs in the Eastern Conf finals and perhaps you saw LeBron James miracle shot friday night. Nothing he does amazes me. I have seen this stuff for years. He made that shot after being on the cover of Sports Illustrated and usually the cover means some kinda jinx. Didn't work this time. Cavs have a tough battle with the Magic. Weds, my oldest son Patrick turns 30 and he will be running 30 miles to celebrate it!!! I will run about 12 miles with him and another friend of his will be on her bike with him the whole way. He will run from near Chardon to his apartment in Ohio City on Clevelands near west side. I am really proud of Pat. He is now in year #3 of triathlons and I love racing with him and training too. Its pretty special.

Kudos to Darrell Nagy aka "Pudge". He's my childhood buddy who qualified for Boston and realized a long time dream this past April.
Heres a picture. (He is 17430 in white cap, arms raised) Pudge ran a 3:52:49...very strong . Us 50's guys gotta stick together.

Finally, you heard of the turtle who was mugged by two snails. Cops asked him what happened and he said "I'd don't know, it happened so fast". Its a little joke I use when I speak but it means more to me. Everything is relative. My speed might not make an Ironman champ blush, but my speed is my speed and my progress as an athlete is MY progress. I train hard and you trained hard as well. Don't be discouraged if a part of your training is not moving at the speed you want. It will come. Just keep plugging along.
I also want to thank the Sherwin Williams Womens Club for having me speak at their annual dinner. I love my public speaking and I always use the forum to try to motivate others and keep people reaching for more in their lives. Several of the women told me afterwards they are working on their running and biking and I simply encourage them to try their best.
and ohhhh yeah...Life's a Blast.

9 comments:

Marci said...

Congrats to your son on celebrating birthday number #30 with a 30 mile run! That is sweet that you will run a leg of it with him :)

Shannon said...

I love Lebron James........

Trishie said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate a 30th birthday -- and so wonderful that you are running some of it with him ! Great thoughts on speed and progress -- we're all athletes and although we often know our places for our gender, AG, and overall, it's truly oursevles that we race against.

Steph said...

congrats to your son and your friend! what an accomplishment!
GO CAVS!!!!!

E-Speed said...

Sounds like life is good JT! Great job on the training and healthy eating! You are making me feel guilty about my DQ trips :)

Unknown said...

Awesome post! I love what you have to say about speed, everyone that steps onto a track, a trail, in a pool, or on a bike is a champion just for putting in the effort! No matter what their speed!

Brian said...

I totally agree that just finishing these grueling events is fantastic. I will never win the race but am super happy to finish. Happier with a PR.

Wes said...

I was hoping Lebron would pull that one out last night. I love the last paragraph. This is OUR time...

Marcy said...

OMG I'm going the big 3-0 next week but dang I don't think I'll be running 30 miles LOL. The DS is hardcore just like Dads ;-)