Monday, January 12, 2009

SNOW JOB

Yes, we were slammed by Mother Nature on Friday night and Saturday morning. I still wanted to meet Aimee, Dale and Eric at the Boston Store and do the 8 mile Pine Lane loop and get more familiar with the terrain for the Buckeye 50k. So I drove out there. 9 inches of snow had fallen. My legs were a little tired as I did an 8 mile trail run at North Chagrin the day before as well. However the ability to move well Friday morning was a stark contrast to running well Saturday Am. Took an hour and 15 minutes to drive what is usually about 40 minutes.

There was about 8-10 inches that had already fallen and it was still coming down. Absolutely gorgeous. Snapped a pic as I wore my festivus cap while waiting for the guys to arrive.

Once Aimee and Dale got there. (Eric was away on business).we started our watches and got going. All that snow and only a handful of guys were already on the trail and so our footing was real hard to establish. I was using my Yaktrax Walkers. We trudged and we trudged.. It was real slow going. About 3 miles into the outing..I stopped and fired off a pic of Aimee up ahead. Then waited and got Dale coming up on me. Once we crossed the second road and rejoined the Buckeye Trail, we came upon this creek.

Thats roughly 3.5 into the run. Dale decided to stay at that point and Aimee and I crossed the 3-4 inches of water and ran-slid-trudge-hoofed it to Pine Lane turnaround. Since it was the first time I went to the turn around point, I kept asking Aimee "Are we there yet"? Surprised she didn't wack me.

We hit the turnaround and returned to the Boston Store. It was extremely slow going and I was doing the math in my head...worried that if these conditions remain next Sunday, I might not make the 50 K in the available time.. We finished the run...8.4 miles on my trusty Garmin 305 in 2 hours and 23 minutes. 2600 feet of ascending on that run. My average heart rate 142 with a high of 159. Great workout..but not as fun as driving home with all the goofballs on the road.

For the week...29 miles run. Sunday, I picked up a pair of trail running shoes and will break them in a little this week..but mostly I am gonna take it easy..Do a bunch of upper body stuff and try to be ready for 7:15 next Sunday AM. Forecast is for very cold and obviously snowy conditions. I am looking forward to the challenge. Thanks to all the veteran trail runners who have emailed advice ...I appreciate it alot.

Best in training to you.. Life's a Blast.

22 comments:

Kelly said...

Nice hate!

I don't know if you meant this by the "goofballs" on the road... but people around here get STUPID when there is snow. You'd think by now they would know how to drive in snow, considering where they live!

Kelly said...

nice hat, not hate hahaha

Unknown said...

Love the fun cap, but I can't believe you ran in that. I'm truly a weather wimp...

Mnowac said...

Nie job JT! It could very well be like that for the race, good thing you got out there. You deserve a few days of recovery after that!

Lily on the Road said...

JT, you've lost weight!

You are so ready for this...good for you!!

Tea said...

JT--again--wonderful pictures. Do you ever go snowshoeing?

My favorite part is turning the heater on HIGH on my little footsies, afterward. :)

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

A. You people are insane. Move where it's warm.

B. That is a sweet hat!!!

Wes said...

That kind of training run will have you ready tO GO :-)

ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, that looks like where I am now (Minnesota). I can't imagine running outside, though. You northerners are so hardcore!

Happy New Year!

Rainmaker said...

Nicely done - I love the pics. The run looks like a blast...well both fun and a blast of snow. But at least you appear to be having fun!

Missy said...

OMG, screw YAKTRAX, you need snow shoes. Holy crap! Best of luck, we're pulling for you.

Donald said...

Love the festivus hat! You definitely look and sound ready for the ultra.

Steph said...

Happy Festivus JT! GOOD LUCK this week as you ready for the 50k. Have fun...it sounds like a blast!

Trishie said...

wow, check out that weather! you are HARDCORE, JT!!

Trishie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Formulaic said...

Nice job out there! That snow looks impossible. Good thing you had the Yak tracks.


You put in some nice mileage for the week.

Good luck on the 18th! Rock it!

Kevin said...

Wow, thats some serious snow. That is gonna be one heckuva race if all that snow is there come race day

Marci said...

Nice hat JT! The pics are absolutely gorgeous of the snow!

Sarah said...

Um...JT you are nuts. I can't even imagine being out in that. I'd run for 2 hours on a treadmill before I would do that. Really.

Wow. Well anyway, I am SO impressed and you are going to KICK BUTT ON YOUR RUN!!!!

BreeWee said...

I LOVE that new photo...
okay, you are way more tuff than me, 29 miles in that snow! INSANE! Our snow was like little puffs of ice, nothing like that! WELL done!

JenC said...

Good luck at the race on Sunday! Love the hat too!

Speed Racer said...

Oh my god! Are you running tomorrow?! Please, PLEASE, PLEASE be careful!!! Oh, and good luck. Stay warm and be sensible!!! I hope that Mother Nature pulls out of her slump and that conditions are perfect. Good luck!!!