Thursday, January 8, 2009

NO MORE SLIDING

It has come to my attention that its winter. I got subtle hints. The Cold. The wind. The Sun leaving town on the last train out. Those kinds of things..

Since I have been busy training for the Buckeye Winter 50 K, I barely noticed it wasn't 65 and sunny. However, in an effort to go with the flow, I am trying to get accustomed to using the Yaktrax sent to me. Last Saturday, I did not bring them to the Boston Store to use on any of the trails we ran. It was snow packed. Ice packed. Just about any kinda-"packed" you can imagine. I just ran gingerly and watched my steps..(Though I did trip once). My friends said its not smart to use Yaktrax on the trails. I did see some runners with the Yaktrax, but I would venture to say most had trail shoes with screws or something to that effect. Bear with this old time triathlete as he assimilates into the trail culture.

This morning was perfect time to try out the Yaktrax. It had rained overnight, laying down a nice sheen of ice . I went to Chagrin River Park. The trails there are crushed gravel but the ice was pretty nasy in many spots. Still I first set out running without the Yaktrax. Not a good move. I slipped about 90 feet from the start of the run. Perfect.!!!!

I went back to the car and strapped on the Yaktrax. (I was sent a size Small, which I realized was not the right size. I stretched the Yaktrax over my shoes.. They felt secure enough but I feared they would just Boing!!! and come off. They didn't. Off I went.

I maintained an easy 10 min per mile clip on some very slight rolling terrain...did 4 and a half miles and encountered no problems at all. I was pretty pleased. Many spots were like running on an ice hockey rink and I came through okay!!! I think with the right size, I should be in business.... Even on parts that were not totally ice, I felt the Yaktrax working well...mostly comfortable.. All in all..very encouraging..

Recall my previous post about baking the Sofsole Performance insert. I have had two runs with the insoles and so far ..so good. I felt a slight stretch of the instep when I was doings some sprints on a track, but other than that...so far...I am pleased.

This week, I will put about 28 miles in the books..with about 8-10 miles on Saturday ..then 8 days from that, I will be running (not racing) running-shuffling-sliding- in the Buckeye Winter 50K.

Good training everyone.!!
Life's a Blast

16 comments:

Kelly said...

I've heard a lot of good things about the yaktrax... too bad I'm allergic to winter (really. (okay... not really, but I just HATE running in cold!)).

Viv said...

Glad the yaktrax are working out for you. i know nothing of cold running gear. Cool on the Sofsole working out too. WHOOHOO 8 days till the 50K. a have a friend that does both every year and her pics look like a blast!

Missy said...

Great, you don't want to bust your arse this close to race day! You know, it doesn't matter what anyone else has on trail running...what matters is if it works for you, no style points:)

Charlie said...

I could have benefited from thos this past week. Instead I found myself running home to coventry with my back-end covered in mud.

Shannon said...

Good training, glad the Yaktrax are helping with your training. :)

Kevin said...

I am glad I dont need those things here in the ATL

Unknown said...

Glad those are working for you. Can't imagine how you could run on snow and ice packed anything without extra traction.

Benson said...

Cool, gadgets are so much fun. Good to know they work for you.

I wonder why they're named Yaktrax? Yaks are large hairy bovines from the Himalayas. Just saying.

Marcy said...

Ahhhhh Yes Yak Trax are very good! I would probably bust my face without them HAHA

Marci said...

I bet you'll be using the YakTrax again... esp after the good experience you had with them. How much longer till your 50K?

Trishie said...

I think it's time for me to suck it up and buy the yaktrax. It hasn't been that bad here, ice + snow wise, but we usually get that kind of weather in Feb/ March... wow, the race is SOON SOON SOON! so looking forward to hearing all about it!

Lily on the Road said...

This may be the winter I get some. I slipped a lot on my run yesterday.

The big count down is on Buckeye! You're more than ready! Have a great time.

Rainmaker said...

Glad to see you're liking them as much as I am. I'm starting to wonder about all this trail running stuff though...are they the right crowd to be hanging with? ;)

Cliff said...

JT,

I have a pair of yak traks myself. i used them for two seasons. t hey were great. I stop using them b/c i find i can run in the snow w/o them :)

mjcaron said...

Hi Triguy. I'm turning 44 and just getting into triathlons. Hope you don't mind but I've been looking for blogs from people who are older than me, and training for triathlon,to keep me inspired! You fit the bill :)

I found you on Ange's drive to tri. I loved reading about your run in the snow. Looks fun!

Sarah said...

BE CAREFUL, JT!! i was on pins and needles reading this post. No falling before the big day!

Glad they're working for ya...