Sunday, March 16, 2008

Why do the FLATS have hills???

They call them the flats. The region along the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland. Well...on Saturday at the St. Malachi 5 miler, I saw more hills than flats. Thats okay and it was not a shock to me. I have raced triathlons that have us dip down into the flats on the run portion, but its always a test when you face those inclines...without a car.

I met fellow blogger and triathlete Daisy Duc before the race and chatted a bit with her afterward. Hi Daisy. If you read her blog, you know that she is prepping for the Boston Marathon and that she likes to race alot. I have usually just raced in triathlons but Daisy pointed out that its good to run some road and or trail races to work on your tempo for the run. Good advice. Thanks!! She kicked my butt, but I am happy to report, I met my goal.

Goal was to average 9 minute miles. I hit a 8:28 per mile pace. First mile was 8:00, second split was 8:20..slowed a little on mile #3, held steady the next couple miles and then finished 42:20 chip time. Killer hill for last quarter mile to the finish. Finished 25th in my 50-54 age group of 65 guys. About 450th out of nearly 1,100. All in all a good effort.

I am looking for another race to run in the next month. The immediate goal would be to go sub 8:10 pace in a 5k. An earlier post had me setting a goal of sub 1:53 in the Cleveland Half Marathon in mid may. My effort yesterday convinces me that I should aim for a quicker time.

BOBBY MARTIN
Thanks for all the comments about my recent post of inspiring football player Bobby Martin. I have been toying with the idea of having more motivational aspects to my blog, with stories like Bobby included. I can also quiz the athletes I cover on what inspires them. Whattya think??

Could call it "JT's Motivation Nation".
DON'T DOUBT DUSTIN
In the meantime, check out this video of Dustin Carter. He is as inspiring, if not more than Bobby Martin. His workout regime is insane!!!!!.

FASHION BY JAMES
Props to hoops and fashion icon LeBron James for gracing the cover of Vogue Magazine. He is only the 3rd man to be featured thusly. I have to ask him if he will open up his own fashion line, seperate from Nike. Maybe he idolized Oscar De La Renta, instead of Oscar Robertson as a kid. Triathletes might know that he owns a piece of Cannondale Bike company and that biking is a big part of his training. Would love to see how he would do in a triathlon. Is he a good swimmer????

THE FOAM REMEMBERS???
Finally, its called memory foam...and some mattress company touts it in their ads. I ask how can the foam remember your bodies setting, when I forgot what I had for breakfast.

26 comments:

rocketpants said...

Nice job on making your goal time! That always feels good.

Memory foam...don't get me started on that stuff...the advertising alone makes me scream.

Marcy said...

Swweeetttt job!! You're a speedy one ;-)

Memory foam, Schmemory foam. Mr McG and I both have the TempurPedic pillows. Totally not worth the dough IMO. The bed might be a good thing . . .maybe LOL

Kim said...

Good job on St Malachi race! I've run that before, it was fun! And not all that flat!
The Canal Park HOme Run Trot 5K is March 29 in Akron.

Lily on the Road said...

"JT's Motivation Nation"

Absolutely!!!!

Brian said...

don't worry, we all get our butts kicked by daisy.

I just picked up the latest issue of Ohio sports and fitness. They interview a couple of a couple of local athletes. One really resembles you and is also a sports anchor here in cleveland. How come you never told us you were going to be written up? Nice other guys to be interviewed with.

Smithposts... said...

Congrats on making your goal in the St. Malachi!

"JT's Motivation Nation", sounds like interesting and inspiring reading!

Rainmaker said...

Congrats on getting out there and doing a running race - and for meeting your goal time. No better way to start off a weekend.

Donald said...

Nice job reaching your race goal. Thanks for the LeBron tidbits - I didn't know the Cannondale part.

So are you going to move to NY when he inevitably becomes a Knick? You know it's only a matter of time.

jahowie said...

Great job on the race!!!

Anonymous said...

Great job on the race!! Way to attack those hills...I'm still working on that part of running.

Thanks for the good advice. I do have another goal a few weeks out now!

WOW - the Dustin Carter video is just what I needed today! What a guy!! Our younger son wrestled this year, and we saw a guy at one meet who had no hands. He was very good, too! Thanks for sharing the video.

Wes said...

Great pace on the race ;-) That's about what my 10K pace shoulda been if I hadn't been hammering all week!

Love the idea of Motivation Nation. Bring it!!!

Mnowac said...

Nice job on the race and I too saw you in the magizine! Congrats, nice article.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Great job in the 5 miler! And yes, I think you easily get a sub 1:53 half mary. And Daisy is right, those races will help you make faster!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Great job on the race!! 9 min miles are a thing of the past for you!

Unknown said...

Good job on your race.

And thanks for pointing us at another inspirational kid.

Unknown said...

Nice Job John,
Bill Marut here from triathlons...
I did a race report on the St. Malachai race in the past and reported that the race was ran in the "flats" but the race was anything but "flat" It is a great race for sure.
See you in tri season.

Bill

beth said...

great job in the race! the running races should definintely pay off come tri time! nice work there....love them hills

RunBubbaRun said...

Great job JT on the race..

Yeah, I agree, trail running makes you faster and also stronger on the road.

Hmm, maybe cannodale will make a bike named after him.. That would be good marketing..

GP said...

Way to kick your goal to the moon! It was such a nice day. But I too will never understand what's up with the uberhills in the Flats.

I must have been right behind you in the race (between timing and the heckler). Next time I'll just have to keep up with you!

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I wonder what else the foam remembers in the bedroom?

GetBackJoJo said...

Awesome job getting your goal time! I loved the Bobby interview and I would be a big fan of "JT's Motivation Nation." Sweet!

Viv said...

Great job speedster! You are scaring me since I am doing the Cleveland 1/2 my friend swore to me it was a flat course :-O

Christine said...

Mmmmmm...love me some Lebron James in a tux:)

Trisaratops said...

Nice job!!!! Ain't that hill at the end of that race a beeeeeeeyotch? I swear it makes me feel like hurling every time!

I'm shooting for a 1:50 at Cleveland Half Mary--wanna join? :)

Faça a Diferença !!! said...

Blog is wonderful.

Congratulations,
Ricardo Sergio
Make the Difference!
http://facaadiferenca.blogspot.com

Faça a Diferença !!! said...

Blog is wonderful.

Congratulations,
Ricardo Sergio
Make the Difference!
http://facaadiferenca.blogspot.com