Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Frigid Fools Solo Polar Plunge

New Years Day. Normal enough. I woke up. Had breakfast. No hangover to deal with. I don't drink. I took my Brides noon Pilates class. What better way to ring in the New Year?? Ohh, I know a better way!!! Jump in an Angry, Frigid Lake Erie.. Yep. Thats what I did.


Check out said Angry Lake. Snow was falling. Very gray and very bleak. Why did I do a solo plunge??? The Cleveland Triathlon Clubs dunk in the Lake was at the same time as my Brides Pilates Class. Since I have yet to perfect the art of being in two places at the same time, and frankly I wanted to support her as she begins a new venture, I had to drag the Bride to the Lake to chronicle the dubious dunking after the Pilates class.


Like the swim trunks. I could have worn a wild bright tropical suit, this blue one or a speedo. J.T. in a speedo is not a pretty sight. Stripped off the sweatsuit and shoes and wasted no time at all. Waves were crashing. Wind was fierce. Heard Gordon Lightfoots song about the Edmund Fitzgerald as the wind and the cold taunted me.

The Bride was all bundled up and a good sport. She fired away with the Canon. I got knocked down and dunked by the waves and all the rocks that made footing treacherous


You have no idea how fast I was running in this shot. Wow. Every fiber of my body was saying "THIS IS BEING ALIVE". The Bride thought' THIS IS BEING STUPID".She just smirked and questioned my sanity. The Bride also made the suggestion of the year. "why not bring your thick bathrobe, you know, like the Russians"?. Like the Russians???? Ohh yeah. Then I kept thinking of Yeltsin or Putin or Gorbachev, all sipping Vodka and sneering as me.

Yeltsin, Putin and Gorbachev

"You are soft American.Water is not cold. You ever been to Siberia"?



Whewww!!! Just being able to throw on the bathrobe, throw on shoes ,snap the final photo and hightail it back home was all I could take... Hey, and to my CTC friends, many of whom I have never had the chance to meet, hope your Plunge was awesome!!!!!! I was with you in spirit and in goosebumps.

20 comments:

tracie said...

Great pics JT! I was too cold to jump in the lake with all of you brave (CRAZY) souls!

RunBubbaRun said...

Cool way to bring in the new year..

Way to go!!!

Steve Stenzel said...

That is GREAT!!!!!!! Well done!

Anonymous said...

You and your wife look like a fun couple. Sounds like a great New Year's Day for you....you are brave!!

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Brrrrrrrrr! Happy New Year!

Stay tuned...

Charlie said...

Well done!

Allez said...

You're crazy!

E-Speed said...

ooh man. I'm crazy, but not crazy enough to do this solo! You are tougher than me that's for sure!

Happy New Year!

Craig said...

Cool plunge!

Janet Edwards said...

Dude, I give you crazy mad props...not only to jumo in the lake but to go in solo! MADNESS!

Sounds like 2008 is off to a great start.

To answer your question, the Buckeye Trail is definitely hilly and has sections with some sketchy footing, but nothing scary. As long as you don't think about how long it takes to go a mile compared to the road, you should be fine!

Gary Burkholder said...

"The lake was angry that day, my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli."

Hopefully you had some warm soup after that!

Kim said...

I found your blog through a few others in the Cleveland area. I now live outside Newcomerstown, although a faithful Channel 8 viewer (I have a Dick Goddard bobblehead doll on my desk at work!) and was amazed/amused/happy to recognize your face!
And especially doing your solo polar bear plunge. I may have to mimic this myself in my own pond or down at Salt Fork Lake!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcy said...

Oops sorry last one was me but the wrong account :P

HAHA!! I love it!! You sooo rock! What a sweet way to start the year, eh?

rocketpants said...

Brrrr! But a fun way to bring in the new year!

Thanks for dropping by my blog! Best of luck with all the goals this year.

Nitsirk said...

Awesome!!! I am inspired. Maybe a St Pattys day ocean dunk.

Thanks for the post. I agree winter running is awesome. It is the winter road and the cars that worry me. I got a new reflective vest and headlamp though so I am ready (and visable).

John said...

You’re a brave man! I don’t think I could have made the plunge but you never know.

Thanks for the comment…
There are a few good Triathlon and Duathlons that start as early as April, but I’ve never entered one that early in the season.

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

yep-you're crazy!! GO BUCKS!!

Trisaratops said...

WOW!!! Now that takes some serious guts...it's one thing to jump in with the masses, but a whole different ballgame to do it solo! Major props! :)

chris said...

Ok...jumping into Lake Erie in the winter time? AWESOME...and crazy at the same time. I couldnt imagine what it felt like. And, at least the frigid water keeps the toxic levels low. LOL.

Looks like it was a BLAST!.